The Latest: Delays for MLS teams headed to Florida tourney

MLS Soccer

The Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:

Toronto FC pushed back its departure to Florida for the MLS is Back Tournament to Saturday, saying more time is needed to complete pre-travel COVID-19 testing.

The MLS team had been scheduled to leave by charter Friday. Toronto opens the World Cup-style tournament on July 10 against D.C. United.

The New York Red Bulls also delayed their Friday departure, saying a staff member had produced an inconclusive COVID-19 test result. The Red Bulls said they would reschedule their flight once all the test results were confirmed.

Six players from FC Dallas and one from Columbus Crew SC have already tested positive in the Sunshine State. They have been isolated and are receiving care while the other members of their delegations are in quarantine pending more testing.

Major League Soccer had required teams to arrive in Florida no later than a week before their first game at the tournament, which runs July 8 to Aug. 11 at Disney’s Wide World of Sport Complex in the Orlando area. But issues with test results have caused several delays.

Kansas has suspended its voluntary football workouts because of an increase in positive COVID-19 cases in the program.

The school says it has tested 164 athletes and recorded 16 positives, including 12 football players. It says 45 athletes are currently in quarantine across all sports.

”When we welcomed our young men back to campus a couple of weeks ago for voluntary workouts, even with the policies and procedures in place to try and protect them from becoming infected with the virus, events outside of our control has made the decision to pause these workouts necessary,” coach Les Miles said in a statement.

The school says the other teams with athletes back on campus will continue their voluntary workouts.

New Jersey’s premier thoroughbred track is scrambling to follow capacity limits set by the state as it prepares for its opening night of racing.

Monmouth Park is scheduled to present a six-race card Friday evening. Track officials said in an afternoon statement that no more than 500 people would be allowed in certain areas, but added that information on a final capacity number would be released later in the day.

The Asbury Park Press reported the track had submitted a plan to the state to allow roughly 16,000 people in the track’s outdoor areas, but the plan was not approved. The track has hosted as many as 60,000 for the Haskell Stakes, its signature event.

Monmouth Park’s sports book will open but be restricted to 25% of normal capacity. All visitors to the track or sports book will be required to wear a mask and be given a brief health questionnaire.

A third Washington Nationals player has decided to opt out of playing this Major League Baseball season because of concerns about the novel coronavirus.

Manager Dave Martinez said depth catcher Welington Castillo was uncomfortable playing because he has young children. He joins first baseman Ryan Zimmerman and pitcher Joe Ross among those deciding not to play for the defending World Series champions.

The 33-year-old Castillo played last season for the Chicago White Sox and then joined the Nationals as a backup option.

Indians outfielder Delino DeShields Jr. has tested positive for the coronavirus and is being quarantined from his teammates.

Chris Antonetti, the team’s president of baseball operations, said DeShields tested positive before coming to Cleveland. The Indians held their first workout at Progressive Field on Friday.

Antonetti said DeShields is doing well and has only had ”very mild symptoms” at this point. He’ll have to twice test negative before he’s permitted to re-join the ballclub.

The 27-year-old DeShields spent the past five seasons with Texas. He was acquired by the Indians in the offseason trade that sent two-time Cy Young Award winner Corey Kluber to the Rangers.

The Sept. 12 football game between Lafayette College and Navy has been canceled.

Lafayette informed the Naval Academy that it cannot bring its football team back to campus in time to meet medical advisory guidelines established by the FBS.

Navy is seeking to fill the date with another opponent.

The Green Bay Packers are optimistic they will have fans at Lambeau Field this season, but they note that seating capacity would be cut significantly and spectators must wear face coverings.

The NFL club also acknowledges the ”possibility that Lambeau Field will be unable to host fans for games this season” because of the pandemic. Training camps across the league are to begin in mid-July.

Reduced seating capacity means the Packers can’t guarantee that ticket holders in the general bowl and club seats will be able to reserve tickets. Season-ticket holders will be asked if they want to be part of a process allowing them a chance to reserve tickets.

Those who opt out can have their 2020 payment refunded in full or credited to 2021.

The Latvian soccer federation says its national team will play a postponed friendly at Montenegro on Oct. 7.

The match in Podgorica was originally scheduled to be played March 26 but was called off because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The Baltic News Service reported the new date.

Soccer has resumed around much of Europe in empty stadiums. The Champions League is scheduled to be completed in August at a mini-tournament in Portugal.

More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Now Trending on KRQE.com

Video Forecast

Grant's Tuesday Evening Forecast

More Weather Video Forecast
Albuquerque Hourly Forecast

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss