ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – Sergio Rivas had more than gifts come his way on Christmas Day. The New Mexico United midfielder also found out that the team was extending his contract through the 2023 season. It’s big news for Rivas, who grew up in New Mexico playing soccer.
Story continues below
- KRQE En Español: Jueves 27 de Enero 2022
- Trending: Open casting call announced for Universal Pictures movie filmed in Los Alamos
- New Mexico: What’s happening around New Mexico January 28 – February 4
- Crime: Vehicle inspection leads to large drug seizure at Gallup Port of Entry
- New Mexico News Podcast: New Mexico News Podcast: Omicron is sweeping across New Mexico
“It’s obviously something I wanted to do,” said Rivas. “I wanted to stay at home and we were able to work it out with New Mexico United. It’s an accomplishment for me, just because I was able to do so much for the community this year and I want to do so much next year and the following year. I’m happy to be home, playing in front of my friends and my colleagues who know me, my family, my brothers, my parents.”
Rivas scored five goals for New Mexico United during the 2021 season, his first with the club. He also had three assists. Rivas is a Cibola High School grad who was named Gatorade New Mexico Boys Soccer Player of the Year in 2014.