ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – Tuesday night high school basketball featured a matchup of unbeaten teams in the metro. La Cueva played host to the visiting Hawks of Volcano Vista in what has been the game of the year thus far.
La Cueva led for most of the game by multiple possessions. The bears had multiple players in double figures including junior guard Exodus Ayers and senior forward Gabe Trujillo with 19 and 13 points respectively. However, in the end, it was the Hawk’s Jakwon Hill with a three-pointer to beat the buzzer to give Volcano Vista a 60-59 victory.
Story continues below
- Crime: Serial robbery suspect arrested, accused in fatal Española Blake’s Lotaburger shooting
- Entertainment: Multi-level go-kart track could come to lot of old water park in Albuquerque
- KRQE En Español: Miercoles 17 de Agosto 2022
- Sports: Vote in Week 1 of the Spirit Stick
- Community: Former UNM student receives prestigious Red Cross volunteer award
“My teammate Jaden threw a perfect pass to me,” said Hill. “It’s just one of those shots you work on every day so it just felt good for it to finally go in and see the work pay off…. I’ve hit a couple game-winners, but I think that one is definitely my favorite now.” Hill finished the game with 20 points.
The now 4-0 Hawks will suit up again on Thursday against Menaul school. La Cueva will play the second of a four-game homestand Friday night against Rio Grande.