SANTA FE, N.M. (KRQE) – New Mexico lawmakers are already eight days into the state’s 2022 Legislative Session, and this year, it’s a mad rush with just 30 days to tackle a host of issues. From several crime bills to increased education funding, to raising police and other public employee salaries, and potentially a big budget increase, the legislature is considering a lot of changes.
Story continues below:
- Community: What’s happening around New Mexico Mar. 31 – Apr. 6
- Albuquerque: Fancy food hall, high end shopping coming to Park Square in Uptown
- Health: New Mexico Supreme Court announces end of mask mandate, social distancing in court
- Crime: Video: Arizona man arrested in New Mexico for 13th DWI charge
This week, Chris and Gabby are looking at what’s transpired so far in the first week of the state’s regular session. KRQE News 13 Investigative Data Reporter Curtis Segarra helps highlight some of biggest issues discussed in Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham’s state of the state speech, while highlighting some of the big debates to come.
For more information about some of the specific bills discussed in this week’s episode, here’s are links to each of the bills:
- House Bill 68 – Proposed changes to New Mexico criminal code, including adding a “criminal threat” law
- House Bill 79 – Modifications to 2nd degree murder charges and penalties
- House Bill 5 – Rebuttable Presumption statute
- Senate Bill 100 – Numerous proposed changes to recreational cannabis law
We’ve named this week’s episode after the daily column Curtis pens for KRQE.com. Every weekday, catch the “Roundhouse Roundup,” with a forecast of the debates ahead and a summary of some of the topics covered the previous day. For a link to a list of all of Curtis’ work, visit his bio page at the link here.
You can also check out all of KRQE’s latest news reporting on the New Mexico Legislature at KRQE.com/legislature.
The New Mexico News Podcast is a weekly podcast with new episodes available every Tuesday. Episodes are available for download on most popular platforms including Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, and Podbean among others.
To find the show on your favorite podcast player, type “KRQE News” or “New Mexico News Podcast” into the search feature. Use the links above to find the podcast on each respective service, or listen to the audio player below.
If you have a question, comment, or suggestion for the podcast, let us know! Email the hosts at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.