Woman accused of trashing Albuquerque officer’s memorial once defended police


ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – Two years ago, you likely wouldn’t think Jennifer Otte would be accused of doing anything against the Albuquerque Police Department.

Police believe Jennifer Otte, 40, is the woman who desecrated slain APD Officer Daniel Webster’s memorial at Central and Eubank over the weekend.

Stuffed animals were gutted, flowers were scattered about and rocks were thrown. Otte is also accused of threatening witnesses who confronted her.

But it was only two years ago that Otte was a cheerleader for APD, with that support captured in multiple videos.

“Albuquerque Police Department, I want to thank all of the officers here for being so brave,” she told city councilors at a May 2014 council meeting. “Thank you, officers, and you keep fighting for our cities. We need you.”

This was in the wake of the James Boyd shooting, when protests erupted across the town.

In a video posted to YouTube in April 2014, Otte was captured yelling at those protesters, saying “I’m here to defend Albuquerque Police Department. If you don’t like it, you can go to jail.”

All this support from Otte was despite multiple arrests over the years.

So what led her to become the suspect in something considered utterly disrespectful to police and a fallen officer’s family?

At a January 2015 city council meeting, Otte again appears before councilors. This time, she tells them a story of when she called 9-1-1 a month earlier when she was being threatened.

“The dirty APD cops showed up, that day, and let all of the armed drug dealers go,” she says. She claims APD pointed AR-15’s at her and then stormed her home. She then makes serious allegations against officers.

“They took me up 5th Street and they raped me. They threatened to kill me. They stuck a gun to my head,” she said.

KRQE News 13 reached out to Officer Webster’s father and stepmother, who live out-of-state and have not yet seen their son’s memorial in person. They told us:

We are sadden by what happened to our loved one’s memorial. It has been less than a year since this happened to our family. Our wounds have not begun to heal and this just opens the wounds further. Scott is a hero and has touched so very many lives for the better before he was taken from us. Albuquerque citizens have reached out to us and extended comfort…to our family for what happened to the memorial. We hope [Otte] is properly charged and not turned loose to do another crime or hurt another family.

Otte is still in jail as of Monday night, charged with aggravated assault for threatening people who saw her trashing the memorial. Otte has had multiple other, previous criminal cases dismissed against her for lack of competency.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Video

Now Trending on KRQE.com

Albuquerque Hourly Forecast

Don't Miss


Photo Galleries


News Resources