CIMARRON, N.M. (KRQE) -The lightning started Wilson Mesa Fire is burning in the Elliott Barker Wildlife Area 14-miles northeast of Cimarron, New Mexico in Colfax County.
- Start Date: July 20, 2020, | Final Update July 23, 2020
- Location: 14 miles northeast of Cimarron, NM in Elliott Barker Wildlife Area
- Containment: 100%
- Size: Approximately 155-acres
- Structures Threatened: None
- Structures Burned: No
- Evacuations: No
- Cause: Lightning
- Total Personnel: Over 40 firefighters
- Area Vegetation: Ponderosa Pine, grass
- Ownerships: State
The New Mexico State Forestry Division reports that more than 40 firefighters are currently working to build containment lines and to stop the forward progress of the Wilson Mesa Fire. Fire officials report that light precipitation has moderated fire activity and fire containment lines held overnight Tuesday. On Wednesday, July 22, firefighters will continue to work on securing containment lines and mop up hot spots.