ALAMOGORDO, N.M. (KRQE) – The Three Rivers Fire which started burning on Monday, April 26, is now 100% contained and burned 5,854 acres. The fire was burning in the Smokey Bear Ranger District in the Lincoln National Forest.
According to Inciweb, a restricted area was created around the fire’s burn area in the Lincoln National Forest to protect the safety of the public during post-fire conditions of the fire’s burn scar. Starting on June 18, 2021, unauthorized individuals are prohibited from being in the restricted area including on any roads or trails. The restriction will remain in effect until December 31, 2021, or until rescinded.
The closure order in effect for the Three Rivers Fire burn scar in the White Mountain Wilderness. The remainder of the White Mountain Wilderness area is open. The Three Rivers Campground is also closed.
At this time the Three Rivers Fire is now under three phases of wildlife recovery. Crews will be taking part in fire suppression repair, emergency stabilization-burned area emergency response, and long-term recovery and restoration.
The Lincoln National Forestand Mescalero Apache Tribal lands are under fire restrictions. No campfires are allowed outside of developed campgrounds and no smoking outdoors in the forest.
The following evacuations have been lifted:
- Nogal Canyon Area (until the Nogal Peak Trailhead)
- Bonito Canyon Area up to the Bonito Lake Dam
- Church Mountain
- Ranchman’s Camp
- Loma Grande
- Cora Dutton
- Ski Apache Up to the Eagle Lakes turn
- Villa Madonna
Coverage continues below
- Start Date: Morning of Monday, April 26, 2021, | Final update June 21, 2021
- Fire Size: 5,854
- Containment: 100%
- Cause: Unknown, Under Investigation
- Location: The fire started half a mile north of Three Rivers Campground and has spread to Ski Apache and the South Fork/Bonito Area
- Resources: 25
- Structures Threatened: No
- Structures Burned: No
- Evacuations: Have been lifted
- Area Vegetation: Grass, dead and down timber, mixed conifer
Evacuation Centers are still available
- Nazarean Church Camp at 200 Bonito Park Rd. Alto, NM 88316
- Capitan Senior Center at 412 Tiger Drive Capitan, NM 88316
- Ruidoso Downs Senior Center at 393 Highway 70 West Rd. Ruidoso Downs, NM 88346.
- (Evacuees with livestock can take their animals to Lincoln County Fairgrounds at 101 5th St. Capitan, NM.)
- The Red Cross has opened up Angus Church of Nazarene at 103 Bonita Park Rd., Angus, NM for evacuees.
Wildfires are a No Drone Zone: Forest officials remind the public that every time a drone is seen near the fire, all aircraft are grounded until they can be sure the drone is out of the area.