On Monday, May 15, fire crews say cool temperatures and light rain have helped firefighters reach 90% containment. Fire command is expected to transition back to the New Mexico Forestry Division on Wednesday, May 16, 2023, at 6:00 a.m.
The Las Tusas Fire is is located along Highway 94, close to the community of Sapello. It’s about 13 miles northwest of Las Vegas, near areas burned in the 2022 Hermits Peak Calf Canyon Fire.
Evacuations were lifted on May 12, 2023. A May 15 post on New Mexico Fire Information’s website indicates there are unlikely to be more updates on the fire “unless significant changes occur.”
The New Mexico Department of Transportation has reopened Highway 94, and motorists are urged to use caution while traveling in the area.
Details about the fire can be seen below:
- Start Date: May 10, 2023, around 4 p.m.
- Location: Near Highway 94, less than a mile west of Sapello
- Cause of Fire: Under investigation
- Responding Agencies: Forestry Division/Service, local fire crews
- Area Vegetation: Tinder, brush, grass
- Acres Burned: 978
- Percent Contained: 90%
- Ownership(s): Private
- Structures Threatened: Yes
- Structures Burned: Yes
- Evacuations: Lifted as of 1:30 p.m. on May 12
As more information about the fire is released, it will be added to this article.