BERNALILLO COUNTY, N.M. (KRQE) – The Bernalillo County Fire Department responded to a brush fire on Sunday, October 18 just south of Tijeras.
- Start Date: Oct. 18, 2020 | Final update Oct. 19, 2020
- Location: Southwest of the intersection of Mars Court and Raven Road
- Containment: unknown
- Size: 20 acres
- Structures Threatened: None
- Structures Burned: None
- Evacuations: No
- Cause: Under investigation
- Total Personnel: Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bernalillo County Fire Dept.
- Area Vegetation: Ponderosa pine, piñon juniper
- Ownership(s): Cibola National Forest
The U.S. Forest Service reports that a Bureau of Land Management hand crew, the Forest Service and Bernalillo County Fire Department engines, a helicopter, and a fixed-wing heavy tank aircraft are among the resources used to fight the blaze. Forest officials report successful water drops were made on Sunday and firefighters continued to work toward hand line and containment through the night.
On Monday, firefighters continued to work on securing and mopping up the perimeter of the fire. Smoke will continue to be visible throughout the day.