NEW MEXICO (KRQE) – The Simona Fire burning in the bosque south of Jarales is now 100% contained as of Sunday night, April 24, roughly four days after it first started. The fire sparked Wednesday morning, April 20 on the west side of the Rio Grande near the intersection of Jarales Road and Highway 346.
The fire is estimated to have burned around 165 acres of private property on both sides of the Bosque. The cause of the fire remains under investigation as of Monday, April 25, 2022. No structures were damaged or destroyed in the fire.
- Start Date: Wednesday, April 20, 2022.
- Location: Near Jarales Road and Highway 346, Valencia County.
- Containment: 100% contained.
- Size: 165 acres.
- Structures Threatened: Two large natural gas lines and a telecommunications line. No homes.
- Structures Burned: None.
- Evacuations: None.
- Cause: Unknown
- Total Personnel: Unknown
- Area Vegetation: Bosque, grass.
- Ownership(s): Private land.