RIO ARRIBA COUNTY, N.M. (KRQE) – A fire is burning near the border of Rio Arriba County and Sandoval County. The Black Feather Fire is about nine miles south of Gallina, 44 miles northwest of Santa Fe, and about 25 to 35 miles from Los Alamos. Officials say the fire was caused by a lightning strike.
Fire officials say rain, humidity, and cooler temperatures are helping to reduce the fire. Crews are continuing to improve containment lines to reduce the fire’s spread.
The communities of Wetherill, Mesa Pinebetal, and Mesa Poleo are in ‘Ready status.’ The Coyote Senior Center is set up as an evacuation center. Livestock can be taken to the Rio Arriba Rural Event Center near Abiquiu. For updated information, check the link here.
There is a partial closure for the Coyote Ranger District. Forest Road 103 is closed to non-residential traffic as well. More details are available here.
Black Feather Fire
- Start Date: August 5, 2023
- Location: San Pedro Wilderness; 44 miles northwest of Santa Fe, 9 miles south of Gallina
- Size: 2,198 acres
- Containment: 28%
- Personnel: 139 personnel
- Response: Attempting full suppression
- Cause: Lightning
- Fuels: Timber, brush, understory
- Evacuations: Ready status has been set in Mesa del Poleo, Mesa Pinebetal, and Wetherill