SOCORRO COUNTY, N.M. (KRQE) – A fire has been burning in the Cibola National Forest in Socorro County since Thursday, Apr. 20, at around 10 a.m. The Antelope Flats fire is burning west of Magdalena, north of Highway 60.
The fire began as a result of two separate fires that merged. The initial cause of the fires is still under investigation. As of Monday, Apr. 24, crews are continuing to put out and monitor the fire. KRQE News 13 will provide updates as they become available.
Antelope Flats Fire
- Start Date: Apr. 20, 2023, around 10 a.m.
- Location: Cibola National Forest in Socorro County
- Containment: 60%
- Size: 939 acres
- Structures Threatened: N
- Structures Burned: N
- Evacuations: N
- Cause: Under investigation
- Total Personnel: Forestry Division, BLM, Forest Service, volunteer fire departments
- Area Vegetation: grass, brush, pinyon, juniper
- Ownership: Private