The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. Lawmakers are getting back to work at the Roundhouse and over the next two months, they’ll be deciding which local governments get money for projects. Among the items on the city of Albuquerque’s so-called “wish list” which has nearly three dozen capital projects. The projects include constructing a more inviting pleasant underpass at Central Avenue under the tracks, phase two of the regional sportsplex and building a new fire station. But these projects could cost millions, something the state doesn’t have. Councilor Isaac Benton says the list is too long and councilors will have to start looking at other ways to fund projects.
2. New Mexico ranks near the bottom of a new list when it comes to child well-being. In its annual Kids Count Report the “New Mexico Voices for Children” ranked the state 49th. The report shows 29 percent of kids live in poverty, the second worst percentage in the nation. There is good news though is that fewer babies were born at low birth weights and more children now have health insurance.
3. Patchy fog will slow down some drivers within south-central and southeast New Mexico. A few spot rain/snow mix showers will continue to develop in and around the higher terrain but don’t expect much in the way of accumulation. Gradual clearing through this afternoon will give way to more sunshine and slightly warmer temperatures. Expect highs to top out well into the 40s, 50s and 60s.
Full story: Kristen’s Wednesday Morning Forecast
4. University of New Mexico students may want to give themselves extra time to get to class. Sky News 13 shows some UNM buses held up in Albuquerque Rapid Transit construction on the way to campus Tuesday morning. UNM and the city’s spokesperson for the ART both advise students to get out the door early.
5. Lots of people are talking about a music video created by two Albuquerque friends. R.J. Trujillo and Matthew Higgins say they were fed up with negative stereotypes so they rapped about places nostalgic to them like Del Norte High School, UNM and other spots.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Suspect in Florida officer’s killing captured after manhunt
- George H.W. Bush hospitalized for shortness of breath
- Police investigating deadly Albuquerque incident
- Authorities continue to build case against accused Old Navy arsonist
- 3 large earthquakes hit central Italy in an hour
- Albuquerque Sunport to sell New Mexico-made products
- Albuquerque residents concerned about sick coyote roaming neighborhood
- Roswell woman looking to return military jacket found in dumpster
- Albuquerque police release new details in officer-involved shooting
- Obama commutes most of Chelsea Manning’s sentence