The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. Some Albuquerque residents are posting comments online, saying they’d like to organize a memorial for the three kids killed in a shooting in Four Hills. This, as their mother fights for her life in the hospital. Police say 45-year-old Daniel Wechsler ambushed the family with a gun Monday night, then turned it on himself. KRQE News 13 has learned the three children, all under the age of 10, went to an Albuquerque Public School not far from their home. Tuesday, fellow classmates were sent home with a letter from the principal calling the siblings “bright stars in our community.” There will likely be councilors on hand at the school again Wednesday.
2. Firefighters are searching a home in Rio Communities for a child unaccounted for after a house fire. It broke out Tuesday night and firefighters fear that child may have died in the blaze near Belen. Fire officials say a woman, her mother and three kids lived in the home. It’s still unclear how the fire started.
3. Wednesday, partly cloudy, breezy. Highs in the 40’s to lower 50’s. West winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts to around 35 mph. Wednesday night, partly cloudy and colder. Lows 15 to 25 mph. North winds 10 to 20 mph shifting to the northeast, 10 to 15 mph after midnight.
4. Wednesday, many will remember those killed during the attack on Pearl Harbor, 75 years ago. The Washington Post reports the family of John Anderson, a New Mexico man and Pearl Harbor survivor, plans to scatter his ashes Wednesday right where his twin brother died in the attack on the U.S.S. Arizona. Anderson died in 2014.
5. Visitors to Albuquerque’s “River of Lights” display this season are seeing one of the best 15 best holiday displays in the country. The display is featured in a recent MSN.com article right alongside popular light displays like Austin’s “Trail of Lights.”
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Albuquerque neighbors speak out after deadly shooting
- Pakistani national carrier’s plane crashes after takeoff
- Frantic rescue underway in Indonesia as quake kills scores
- Santa Fe police ask for help identifying armed robbery suspect
- Animal Protection of New Mexico offers reward to find animal killer
- Regents to hold meeting to discuss President Frank’s fate
- New Mexico colleges seek extension to scholarship funding
- Roswell committee approves ordinance to raise traffic fines
- Innovation or a monopoly? AT&T, Time Warner go before Senate
- US Postal Service anticipates record deliveries
- Study: Albuquerque ranks low as city for singles