5 Facts You Need to Know
- Police now say at least 4 people fired shots during the fight 17-year-old Jaquise Lewis was killed and 6 others injured last weekend at Los Altos Skate Park near Eubank and Lomas. They say people were recording the fight and asking those people to come forward.
- Today is partly cloudy with highs in the mid 70s to lower 80s. Tonight will be partly cloudy with lows in the mid to upper 40s.
- A Catholic group said what someone did to their organization is very unholy. Someone went to great lengths, even prying open a steering column, to try and steal a car from Catholic Charities, this weekend. The nonprofit is located on Bridge near Atrisco. The vandals also broke into a shed and stole supplies. The damage is said to cost in the thousands.
- The journey to El Santuario de Chimayo is expected to draw tens of thousands who walk different paths to the Catholic Church which many believe has holy soil. We have the maps of each pilgrimage, that includes lane closures. State transportation crews are already prepping the route
- It looks like the extra money for highways and APS security will not get a second look this year. It seems Governor Susana Martinez has no plans to bring lawmakers back to the Roundhouse for a special session. Lawmakers couldn’t agree on funding 270 million dollars in projects before the legislative session ended earlier this month. Now, hundreds of projects won’t get funded, including improvements to state universities.
Top Morning Headlines
A teacher is suing a school district, claiming it’s not respecting her religious beliefs. Karen Ford works at Estancia Middle School and is a member of the United Church of God. She follows church practices which require her to not work on the Sabbath and take off seven religious holidays, one of which is the week-long Feast of Tabernacles in the fall.
Ford claims in a lawsuit that when she asked for those religious holidays off, the district said no. It only allowed her the time off if she worked unpaid overtime to make up for it. Ford said other employees weren’t required to do that.
She’s now asking a judge to step in and for the district to pay damages. Neither the superintendent nor Ford’s lawyer responded to requests for comment.
A motorcyclist was rushed to the hospital, after getting trapped under a U-Haul truck. It happened at about 2:30 Monday morning at 98th and Avalon near the I-40. Fire crews on the scene tell us truck driver tried to make a u-turn and didn’t see the motorcycle and they crashed. Crews had to lift the truck to free the motorcyclist.