LOS ALAMOS, N.M. (KRQE) – Scientists from Los Alamos are testing suborbital satellites at Spaceport America. The Los Alamos National Laboratory partnered with UP Aerospace in Colorado for an experimental launch last month.
Story continues below:
- Investigation: What happens after someone attacks a healthcare worker?
- Don’t Miss: New Mexico native recognized in Bon Appétit Magazine for Brooklyn restaurant
- Weird: Man once accused of having sex with horse now accused of escape from jail
- KRQE en Espanol: KRQE En Español: Viernes 23 de Septiembre 2021
- Crime: FBI investigates Albuquerque couple for bank robbery
They sent an 800-pound rocket more than 60 miles into the atmosphere at six times the speed of sound. The rocket sends back flight diagnostics, like temperature and acceleration which will be used to develop national security technology.
Officials say the test was a success. Scientists and engineers are planning more tests over the next five years.