Roswell dog rescue owner acquitted of charges

News

ROSWELL (KRQE) – The owner of the Roswell rescue where three dogs escaped from last year and mauled a 9-year-old boy has been acquitted of all charges related to the attack.

On Friday, Sammye LaFlar was acquitted of three counts of dogs running at large and having no proof of vaccinations.

It was not the outcome Colby Prince’s family was expecting.

“The outcome is disappointing to us, and we’re just moving on now,” Keisha Prince told KRQE News 13. “My heart sank. It was really tough to hear that she’s not responsible for anything.”

In June 2014 three pit bull mixes escaped from LaFlar’s rescue, Doggy Saviors. Colby Prince, 9, was outside watering his horses when those dogs attacked him. Colby’s shirt was ripped off, his arms and legs mangled.

The physical wounds have healed, but eight months later, the Prince family is still dealing with the fallout.

“He’s doing a lot better, he doesn’t show his scars,” Keisha Prince said. “Half the time I think he forgets they’re there, just because he doesn’t want to relive everything.”

Prince said her family is now focusing on moving forward.

Attempts to reach both LaFlar and her attorney over the weekend were unsuccessful.

Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Video

Now Trending on KRQE.com

New Mexico Hourly Forecasts ⟶

Albuquerque Hourly Forecast

Don't Miss

MORE IN DON'T MISS

Photo Galleries

MORE PHOTO GALLERIES

News Resources - Maps

MORE NEWS RESOURCES