The Red Nation organized a protest calling for radical police reform, up to the abolishment of police departments. The group says they want to see funding put towards other types of social programs aimed at helping people battling addiction and mental health issues.
“The Red Nation is making sure that people who are in positions of power are not using excessive force against the community and against our people, especially our people who are most marginalized or vulnerable, nobody deserves to be shot and killed,” said protester Hope Alvarado.
The crowd observed a moment of silence for those killed Monday night.
- Tense moments between Black Lives Matter and Blue Lives Matter groups in Rio Rancho
- Deepwater drilling protester convicted of trespassing, resisting arrest
- Texans remain in locker room for national anthem ahead of game against Chiefs
- Chiefs, Texans join for moment of unity before NFL’s kickoff game
- At least 17 US police chiefs have resigned or been fired since June 1