SANTA FE, N.M. (KRQE) – Santa Fe city councilors want businesses to pay for abandoned shopping carts. The council says the city has collected about 3,000 abandoned carts since September. They pay a company $14 per shopping cart to collect them.
Story continues below
- Albuquerque: Albuquerque cocktail bar named best new cocktail bar in the United States
- Trending: Liberty Tax Service sues Better Call Saul creators
- New Mexico: Cities with the most expensive homes in New Mexico
- Crime: APD identifies vehicle of interest in homicide investigation
- KRQE En Español: Abren nuevo centro médico en el suroeste de Albuquerque
The city says they spent about $47,000 retrieving and returning carts. A new bill that’s expected to be taken up this week would fine retailers $150,000 per shopping cart.