New Mexico House bill would increase car registration costs

Politics - Government

A bill is making its way through the Roundhouse that could tack a new fee onto your car registration. 

House Bill 321 would add a surcharge ranging from $15 to $57. About 90 percent of the surcharge will go toward the state road fund used for highway maintenance. The other 10 percent will be matched with federal funds for bigger projects.

The move is estimated to bring in more than $100 million a year. 

“That was one of the purposes of this bill, so we can get money to match federal government funding,” Rep. Jim Trujillo, D-Santa Fe, said. 

Committee Republican members say they like the idea but are worried it would hurt drivers in rural areas. It passed along party lines in the committee. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Video

Now Trending on

Video Forecast

Connor's Sunday Evening Forecast

Thumbnail for the video titled "Connor's Sunday Evening Forecast"
More Weather Video Forecast

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss