ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – Bernalillo County Commissioners voted to reserve the site of the old jail downtown for new court buildings in the future. The demolition at Fourth St. and Roma Ave. started earlier this year after the building sat vacant for 16 years.
Story continues below
- Albuquerque: Albuquerque speed cameras ordinance signed into law
- Politics: Albuquerque mayoral candidate accused of violating FCC provisions
- Weather: Milder, sunny Saturday on tap
- Crime: Video shows alarming behavior of security guards towards customer
- Español: KRQE En Español: Viernes 15 de Octubre 2021
In the short term, the county says the site will be used for county employee parking. Someday, it could be used to expand downtown’s district court which officials say needs at least four more courtrooms. Commissioners recommended the site be preserved until funding is available for that expansion.