ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – The Albuquerque City Council is expected to accept the recommendations of the Balloon Landing Task Force Monday evening. The final report lays out options for potential landing sites.
Story continues below:
- Investigation: What happens after someone attacks a healthcare worker?
- Don’t Miss: New Mexico native recognized in Bon Appétit Magazine for Brooklyn restaurant
- Weird: Man once accused of having sex with horse now accused of escape from jail
- KRQE en Espanol: KRQE En Español: Viernes 23 de Septiembre 2021
- Crime: FBI investigates Albuquerque couple for bank robbery
Options include buying property for landing balloons. One of the biggest properties being considered is a 91-acre plot on the southwest corner of Osuna near the North Diversion Channel – they could also buy several smaller properties.
Another option is improving parking lots where balloons can land which includes installing shorter light poles to avoid collisions. A fourth and cheaper option is expanding the X Marks the Spot program, which involves property owners putting an X on their property, allowing balloonists to land there.
The report says any combination of these can also be considered.