1. The Bernalillo County DA’s Office says they’re trying to find out who the fourth suspect is in the brutal rape and murder of 10-year-old Victoria Martens. The girl’s mom, Michelle Martens, Fabian Gonzales and his cousin, Jessica Kelley, were all arrested and charged. Last week, Victoria’s mother struck a plea deal with most of the charges against her and Gonzales were dropped. DA Raul Torrez says when he took office, they discovered cell phone data shows Gonzales and Martens were not at the apartment at the time of the murder. Now the unknown fourth suspect is facing charges, including rape and first-degree murder.
2. New Mexico’s Attorney General Hector Balderas says he wants the U.S. and Mexico to work on sharing more information to stop crime in the state. Balderas met with law enforcement agencies in southern New Mexico to discuss how closely officers will work with federal immigration officials. Governor Susana Martinez said in April she supported President Trump’s decision to deploy the National Guard to the border. The AG says he’s not on the same page with that idea. The AG says he’s planning a meeting in August to start talking about ways to prosecute criminals in both countries.
3. Another hot afternoon with highs climbing well into the 80s and 90s across New Mexico.
Full Story: Kristen’s Tuesday Morning Forecast
4. As Canada’s trade tariffs against the U.S. takes hold, New Mexico’s salsa and chile industry is bracing for a big impact. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced they will be imposing a ten percent tariff against all sauces, condiments, and seasonings coming from the U.S. According to the Chamber of Commerce, the condiment tax will cost New Mexico nearly half a million dollars. KRQE News 13 reached out to several other local salsa and chile businesses, but many were still trying to figure out how this will impact them.
5. Houston Astros third baseman and Albuquerque native, Alex Bregman, is the American League Player of the Month for June. Bregman hit 11 home runs in June. He also drove in 30 runs. Bregman is now second on the team in home runs and runs batted in.
Morning’s Top Stories
- Cameras capture moments of a terrifying crash near a busy Albuquerque
- River otter exhibit opening Tuesday at ABQ Biopark
- Thai official: Boys may have to dive from cave despite peril
- World Boomerang Championships headed to Balloon Fiesta Park
- Mayor vetoes ordinance approving funds for TopGolf
- Residents in EDo neighborhood tired of crime ridden motels
- Group wants Route 66 on list of National Historic Trails
- AFR asks people to use 311 app for reporting illegal fireworks
- Notah Begay III welcomes Brian Urlacher & Darius Rucker to NM Grande Slam