In honor of Southwest Wildfire Awareness Week officials are asking all New Mexicans to prepare for fire season.
Experts say despite the increased rain and snow this winter, many communities will continue to experience abnormally dry conditions. New Mexicans should be on high alert as strong winds and warming temperatures will increase fire danger.
Tips to help homeowners and landowners can do to help protect lives, property and valuable resources:
- Create and maintain a minimum 30-foot defensible space around your home
- Cut tall grass around your property
- Pile firewood and other flammables away from your home and other structures
- Clear leaves, pine needles and other debris from roofs, gutters and deck areas
- Prune trees near structures and remove excess ground fuels such as fallen needles, cones and branches
- Take precautions when burning debris or using equipment and never leave a fire unattended
- Follow burn restrictions and wind warnings – always check the weather