NEW MEXICO (KRQE) – It is an annual tradition for many New Mexicans – the pilgrimage to El Santuario de Chimayo and Tome Hill on Good Friday. Don’t forget to send KRQE News 13 your photos of the annual pilgrimage, to Report It.
El Santuario de Chimayo Pilgrimage
The Department of Transportation is preparing for people coming from all directions leading to the village of Chimayó for the annual pilgrimage. Some pilgrims will start their journey from as far away as Albuquerque during Holy Week, with the largest crowds on Good Friday, April 15.
Crews have already started preparing for people walking to Chimayó. Most pilgrims travel along high-traffic roadways including NM 84/285 which runs from Santa Fe to Española, through Pojoaque and Nambé. NMDOT crews will sweep NM 84/285, 503 and 76.
Pedestrians that are walking at night or early morning can expect portable lighting structures at specific locations. There will also be trash receptacles placed along the routes.
New Mexico State Police will provide security at the church and traffic control. The Santa Fe and Rio Arriba County Sheriff’s Departments will also provide traffic control.
Below are some safety tips that people walking should follow:
- Stay on the shoulder of the highway and be aware of traffic. Stay off the overpasses and follow the yellow signs.
- Wear bright reflective clothing and dress in layered clothing
- Take a flashlight, water and food.
- Wear comfortable shoes
- Don’t cross on to the roadway and don’t walk in highway medians
- Walk in groups of at least three or more for safety reasons
Tome Hill Pilgrimage
Pilgrims making the journey to Tome Hill are asked by the Town of Tome Land Grant owner/caretaker to follow the rules below:
- No animals of any kind are allowed on the hill on Good Friday. This includes, not limited to, dogs, cats, horses, sheep and goats.
- Show respect for the sight by limiting the use of cell phones and other electronic devices.
- Do not leave additional crosses on the hill. Any crosses left will be removed by the land grant personnel.
- Use caution when going up and down the hill. The Town of Tome Land Grant is not responsible for any injuries sustained while on or around the hill.
- Vendors of any kind are not allowed on or near the hill and will be asked to leave by Land Grant personnel.
- Please keep the site clean by using trash cans.