Parents are calling for action against the Valencia Middle School principal after several students reported hearing him threaten a student.
That student plays football against the principal’s son on the rival Los Lunas Middle School team.
The boy’s parents say they initially learned about the threat on social media. Their son later told them he was afraid to fess up to what had happened.
“I had to read it a couple of times because I had to make sure it was the right school, because player number 77 is our son,” said his mother, Jules Pinzon.
Jules Pinzon says it started earlier this week when she and her husband saw a post about player number 77 and the principal, Jason Baca, getting into an altercation. Baca is the principal at Valencia Middle School.
They immediately asked their son what happened and they say he reluctantly told them.
“He and some other boys from the football team, they had played the rival school the night before,” Jules Pinzon said. “They were joking around and playing around and made comments about the rival school football team.”
Those comments are what fellow students say Baca didn’t like.
“The principal started asking him — repeatedly asking him — if he would like him to bring his son, who plays on the opposing schools team, to the school to fight him,” Jules Pinzon said.
According to their son, Baca didn’t stop there.
“He proceeded to say that he felt sorry for him being such a horrible football player, and how did it feel to get tackled by seventh graders,” she said. “Asking him questions like that.”
The boy told his parents Baca then threatened to write him up and keep it a secret.
“They told my son not to tell anybody,” said the boy’s father, Rene Pinzon. “Don’t tell your friends, don’t tell anybody. This is between us.”
The parents were quick to call the school to file a complaint. They say they were told Baca would be brought in for questioning, but haven’t heard of any action being taken.
They wish this whole situation would have played out differently.
“If my kid did something wrong, that’s a missed opportunity to teach them what not to do and what’s the right thing to do, and I was pretty upset about that,” Rene Pinzon said.
KRQE News 13 reached out to Los Lunas Schools to ask if Baca was under investigation or on administrative leave. They issued a statement saying they would not comment on personnel matters, and wanted to point out the post was on a social media account created by “disgruntled parents.”
Since the alleged incident, fellow parents have posted stories about their kids and their dealings with the principal, including bullying.
The page it was posted on is called the Los Lunas School District Parents Discussion Page. The Pinzons have removed their son from the football team, because the two teams face off again Thursday night.