The New York Times reports that some people are claiming it is the work of minimalist sculptor John McCracken. The monolith in Utah looks nearly identical to a McCracken piece titled “Fair” on display in New York.
McCracken lived in New Mexico for a good part of his life and had an affinity for science fiction. His son claims McCracken may have left it for others to discover saying his dad once told him he wanted to leave his art in remote places for people to find.
- BCSO deputy, former UNM track star chases down suspect
- New Mexico was first in the nation to launch website for COVID-19 vaccine registrations
- New Mexico lawmakers, industry leaders react to Pres. Biden’s moratorium on oil, gas lease
- Some New Mexicans struggling to get information on scheduling second dose of COVID vaccine
- NM House passes new rules for virtual legislative session