NEW MEXICO (KRQE) – Smokey Bear turned 76-years-old on Sunday.
On August 9, 1944, Smokey Bear stepped into the world when the U.S. Forest Service and the Ad Council agreed he should be the symbol for fire prevention. Then in 1950, a badly-burned bear cub was found near Capitan, giving the character life.
Smokey Bear has touched the lives of millions ever since. Some fans mistakenly call him Smokey “the” Bear, but his real name is simply Smokey Bear.
- Tracking Coronavirus in New Mexico
- Tracking Coronavirus in Navajo Nation
- New Mexico Coronavirus Cases by County, by Day
- What you need to know about New Mexico’s Public Health Order
- Red, Yellow, Green Level Definitions
- What do I need to know about the COVID vaccine in New Mexico
- Evictions – Supreme Court Ruling
- New Mexico CARES Act grants to be dispersed by Christmas Eve