HOBBS, N.M. (KRQE) – A Hobbs Police officer is recovering following a shooting that left a male suspect dead and a second suspect on the run Wednesday night. As of Thursday afternoon, police are still searching for that second suspect, who’s accused of escaping from officers in part by stealing a police car.

“The Hobbs PD officer who was shot last night is currently in good, stable condition, recovering with his family,” Hobbs Police Interim Chief August Fonns said in a news conference Thursday afternoon. Fonns declined to release the name of the officer Thursday and did not discuss the extent of the officer’s injuries.

Daniel Ramirez, 26, of Hobbs was killed in Wednesday’s police shooting.

Fonns said Thursday the officer who was wounded was taken to a hospital in Lubbock. It’s unclear if the officer has been released from the facility.

The shooting happened around 10:30 p.m. Wednesday along North Turner Road, one of the main streets through Hobbs. According to a news release from Hobbs Police, the shooting unfolded as an HPD officer tried speaking to two people inside of what the officer thought was a stranded vehicle alongside the road near a Wells Fargo bank.

As the officer spoke to a man and woman inside the car, Hobbs Police say the driver got out of the car. Police say the officer and male suspect then fired multiple shots. Both the Hobbs Police officer and the male suspect were wounded in the shootout.

Janessa Perez, 28, is being sought by police in connection to Wednesday’s shooting.

Police have identified the male suspect as Daniel Ramirez, 26 of Hobbs. Ramirez was taken to a hospital in Hobbs, where he died from his injuries.

“Body cam footage from the officer revealed the officer was talking to the driver and the suspect and asking them to step out of the vehicle,” Fonns said. “The driver of the vehicle fled on foot which was followed shortly by multiple gunshots.”

As another HPD officer went to help the wounded officer, police say the female suspect, 28-year old Janessa Perez, escaped from the scene. Even though police say Perez was detained by another officer, she was able to get into an empty Hobbs police car, then drive off. Police say Perez crashed the car nearby, but was able to run away from the crash. Perez is still being sought by police.

“My understanding is she was handcuffed [before she escaped,] but I don’t know the details on what transpired after that,” Fonns said. “The State Police will reveal that at a later time.”

Anyone with information on the whereabouts of Janessa Perez is asked to call the New Mexico State Police at (575) 382-2500 or Hobbs Police Department at (575) 397-9265.