LOS LUNAS, N.M. (KRQE) – New Mexico State Police have released additional details related to a deadly officer-involved shooting near Los Lunas last month.
State Police officer Miguel Gaytan was assisting the Valencia County Sheriff’s Office in an unrelated case when a vehicle was seen driving erratically. When he tried to stop it, police say the driver took off prompting a chase. The vehicle eventually hit a fence and Ruben and Alonzo Deleon got out.
State Police say they began to act aggressively toward Officer Gaytan who fired his taser hitting Ruben. Police say when the officer attempted to arrest Ruben, Alonzo reached into his pocket. That’s when the officer retreated to the back of his patrol car.
According to police, the two continued to lunge at the officer and he fired his pistol hitting both. Ruben Deleon was pronounced dead at the scene. Alonzo Deleon was transported to the University of New Mexico Hospital before being booked into the Valencia County Detention Center.
New Mexico Coronavirus Resources
- Tracking Coronavirus in New Mexico
- Tracking Coronavirus in Navajo Nation
- Trendline Charts: New Mexico Coronavirus Cases by County, by Day
- COVID-19 case by state, global statistics, maps
- COVID-19 Projections: when will coronavirus be over?
- COVID-19 Testing Sites
- New Mexico’s Public Health Emergency Order
- Essential & Non-Essential Business Operations
- Phone numbers, websites to know during COVID-19
- Donate Blood
- Job changes due to coronavirus – Here’s what you need to know
- Jobs: These businesses are looking to hire due to coronavirus
- How to help during coronavirus
- Resource for New Mexico Seniors
- New Mexico School Meal Sites