New Mexico teen released from hospital after suffering electric shock

New Mexico

CLOVIS, N.M. (KRQE) – A Clovis teen is back home after suffering severe electrical burns.

The Eastern New Mexico News reports a 17-year-old boy received third-degree burns to his arm, hand and both legs after he reportedly trespassed into Xcel’s East Clovis Substation last Tuesday night. Police say he called claiming he had been electrocuted.

They say he was injured after making contact with some type of energized equipment. The boy has since been released from the hospital.

An Xcel Energy spokesman stated that the substation was de-energized which resulted in an outage to 4,555 customers in that area of the city. Services were restored around 7:40 p.m.

Clovis police say they have not ruled out any criminal charges.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Video

Now Trending on

Video Forecast

Grant's Thursday Evening Forecast

More Weather Video Forecast
Albuquerque Hourly Forecast

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss