NEW MEXICO (KRQE) – New Mexico led the nation in chile and pecan production last year. The final statistics showed New Mexico produced 87 million pounds of pecans with a value of $165.1 million.
The chile crop was more than 63,075 tons, providing a value of $50 million. In total, New Mexico’s agriculture industry was valued at $3.44 billion which is a 7.6% growth from 2018.
Data from the Department of Agriculture showed slight declines in production for both crops, but the state still maintained its spot as the top producer of both in the United States.
Latest New Mexico News:
- Second brother convicted of murder in triple homicide near Dixon
- Grim milestone: Over 5,000 deaths in New Mexico from virus
- Each state’s favorite Halloween candy, according to online shopping data
- Final application round open for local business grants
- Warrant issued for man accused of shooting gun from his truck