NEW MEXICO (KRQE) – New Mexico led the nation in chile and pecan production last year. The final statistics showed New Mexico produced 87 million pounds of pecans with a value of $165.1 million.
The chile crop was more than 63,075 tons, providing a value of $50 million. In total, New Mexico’s agriculture industry was valued at $3.44 billion which is a 7.6% growth from 2018.
Data from the Department of Agriculture showed slight declines in production for both crops, but the state still maintained its spot as the top producer of both in the United States.
Latest New Mexico News:
- FBI searches for information in suspicious death of Tohatchi man
- KRQE Newsfeed: Pharmaceutical pause, Dangerous ride, More wind, TikTok tactics, Enhanced experience
- NMSP reaches out to younger audience as department’s first TikTok goes viral
- “New Mexico True” campaign refresh hopes to reignite tourism
- 3 NM schools to temporarily close due to COVID-19 cases