NEW MEXICO (KRQE) – New Mexico led the nation in chile and pecan production last year. The final statistics showed New Mexico produced 87 million pounds of pecans with a value of $165.1 million.
The chile crop was more than 63,075 tons, providing a value of $50 million. In total, New Mexico’s agriculture industry was valued at $3.44 billion which is a 7.6% growth from 2018.
Data from the Department of Agriculture showed slight declines in production for both crops, but the state still maintained its spot as the top producer of both in the United States.
Latest New Mexico News:
- Influx of patients seeking abortion expected in NM following SCOTUS decision
- Clovis police searching for man accused of kidnapping ex-girlfriend
- Artesia police arrest man for armed robbery turned attempted carjacking
- New Mexico to host cannabis workshop for entrepreneurs
- Taos man accused of trying to set his place of work on fire