NEW MEXICO (KRQE) – A New Mexico high school wrestler is being hailed a hero after he pinned a suspect to the ground until police arrived.
According to Las Cruces Police, the suspect Daniel Beltran was causing a scene at Chucky’s Gas Station on Thorpe and I-25 on Wednesday. Beltran is accused of trying to kidnap a woman’s three kids.
Police say he then punched the woman in the face and attacked other people who tried to intervene. Court documents say state wrestling champion Canaan Bower from Mayfield High School came over from across the street and took hold of Beltran.
He used wrestling holds to keep the suspect pinned until police arrived at the scene. Beltran was then taken into custody and is charged with four counts of battery, two counts of child abuse, one count of kidnapping, and two counts of assault.
New Mexico Coronavirus Resources
- Tracking Coronavirus in New Mexico
- COVID-19 Testing Sites
- FAQ on ‘Stay-at-Home’ order
- New Mexico School Closings: What you need to know
- Donate Blood
- Job changes due to coronavirus – Here’s what you need to know
- Jobs: These businesses are looking to hire due to coronavirus
- How to help during coronavirus
- Resource for New Mexico Seniors
- New Mexico School Meal Sites