MIDLAND, Texas (Nexstar)- New Mexico State Police have arrested Midland murder suspect Kionne G. Lewis, 29, after an overnight manhunt. Lewis was taken into custody about 10:25 a.m. Tuesday. Lewis has been charged with Capital Murder.
Story Continues Below
- Crime: Albuquerque man can avoid jail time by leading police to woman’s remains
- Albuquerque: Illegal roadside car lot in NW Albuquerque finally cleaned up
- Weather: Warmer and quieter weather returns Thursday
- New Mexico: Warrant reveals gun not thoroughly checked before movie set shooting; sheriff not ruling out charges
- Español: KRQE En Español: Miercoles 27 de Octubre 2021
Around 12:42 p.m. on September 27, officers with the Midland Police Department responded to the 3400 block of N Midland Drive in reference to a disturbance with weapons. Upon arriving on the scene, police found Travae Jackson, 28, dead inside her apartment.
According to MPD, Jackson had been shot multiple times. Another man inside the apartment was also shot and was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
Early Tuesday morning, the New Mexico State Police reported they were assisting the Texas Rangers in the search after Lewis was spotted in Chaves County. According to City of Roswell Public Information Officer Todd Wilderman, Roswell Police supported NMSP in the search early Tuesday morning.
The search took place about 12 miles north of Roswell near US Highway 285. The sheriff’s office says ranch hands spotted Lewis Tuesday morning and held him at gunpoint until law enforcement arrived.