NEW MEXICO (KRQE) – A Mexican national is now facing charges for a pursuit and rollover that killed two people and injured 10 others near Santa Teresa. A criminal complaint states border patrol agents tried to pull over an SUV driven by 19-year-old Julio Garcia-Rascon last week, but he fled.
Story continues below
- Trending: Albuquerque Police: Suspect detained in murder of Muslim men
- Albuquerque: Over 200 stranded overnight on top of tram after storm cuts power
- New Mexico: New Mexico cannabis sales set new summer record
- Crime: Prosecutors rush to keep accused parade-crasher in jail until trial
- KRQE En Español: Lunes 8 de Agosto 2022
At some point, investigators say Garcia-Rascon lost control, rolled the SUV, and crashed into a power pole. Thirteen people were inside at the time, nine of them Mexican nationals. Garcia-Rascon is facing nine charges related to the crash, including vehicular homicide. It’s unclear if he could face human smuggling charges. Prosecutors have filed a motion to keep him locked up until trial.