DEMING, N.M. (KRQE) – New Mexico State Police are investigating a deadly shooting involving Deming Police on Tuesday. NMSP reports that the incident occurred near Spruce and Zinc in Deming and that no officers were injured.
NMSP says on Nov. 24, 37-year-old Lorenzo Aguilar led officers on a high-speed chase, with speeds exceeded 100 mph, through town before he crashed into a wall at the corner of Pine and Zinc, ran behind a house. According to an NMSP news release, a second DPD officer arrived on the scene and Aguilar fired shots at the officers. Two DPD officers returned fire striking Aguilar. Police say Aguilar was hit and died at the hospital.
According to the same news release, the identities of the officers involved will not be released until interviews are completed and police say the investigation is still active. No other information was provided.
Latest New Mexico News:
- New Mexico was first in the nation to launch website for COVID-19 vaccine registrations
- New Mexico lawmakers, industry leaders react to Pres. Biden’s moratorium on oil, gas lease
- NM House passes new rules for virtual legislative session
- NMSP arrest man involved in double fatal pedestrian hit-and-run
- Report: Approximately 12,462 Santa Fe households received CARES Act funding