A historical treasure has returned to Ruidoso.
The history of the old school bell dates to 1938 when the Work Projects Administration, which provided jobs during the Great Depression, cast the bell and placed it in a local school.
Historians say its ring could be heard from Carrizo Canyon to upper canyon roads.
Later, it graced the lobby of Village Hall before being taken out of state.
Now, the bell has returned and will remain at Sierra Vista Primary School.