It is an annual tradition for many New Mexicans – the pilgrimage to El Santuario de Chimayo or Tome Hill on Good Friday. Send KRQE News 13 your photos of the annual pilgrimage, to Report It.
Friday there will mostly sunny skies, dry conditions and warmer than average temps (60s, 70s and 80s).
El Santuario de Chimayo Pilgrimage
The Department of Transportation has been preparing for large crowds coming from all directions leading to the village of Chimayó for the annual Pilgrimage. Most pilgrims travel along Highway 84/285 which runs from Santa Fe to Espanola, through Pojoaque and Nambe. Crews are also preparing N.M. 503, 103, 599 and 76.
Pedestrians walking at night can expect portable lighting structures stationed at specific locations. Trash receptacles will also be placed along the routes. Traffic signs and electronic message boards will alert motorists to be aware of people walking along these roads.
Below are some safety tips that people walking should follow:
- Stay on the shoulder of the highway and be aware of traffic. Stay off the overpasses and follow the yellow signs.
- Wear bright reflective clothing and dress in layered clothing
- Take a flashlight, water and food.
- Wear comfortable shoes
- Don’t cross on to the roadway and don’t walk in highway medians
Walk in groups of at least three or more for safety reasons
Tome Hill Pilgrimage
Pilgrims making the journey to Tome Hill are asked by the Town of Tome Land Grant owner/caretaker to follow the rules below:
- No animals of any kind are allowed on the hill on Good Friday. This includes, not limited to, dogs, cats, horses, sheep and goats.
- Show respect for the sight by limiting the use of cell phones and other electronic devices.
- Do not leave additional crosses on the hill. Any crosses left will be removed by the land grant personnel.
- Use caution when going up and down the hill. The Town of Tome Land Grant is not responsible for any injuries sustained while on or around the hill.
- Vendors of any kind are not allowed on or near the hill and will be asked to leave by Land Grant personnel.
- Please keep the site clean by using trash cans.