CARLSBAD, N.M. (KRQE) – With the high fire danger, Carlsbad Caverns is taking measures to prevent wildfires. The park is closing Walnut Canyon Desert Dr. because of the tall grass in some areas. The extreme fire danger is due to prolonged hot, dry, and windy weather.
Story continues below
- Crime: APD: 2 in custody after standoff at northwest Albuquerque gas station
- Albuquerque: Lawsuit alleges CYFD cover-up over 4-year-old’s death
- KRQE Investigates: “Take down, take down:” An inside look at catching shoplifters
- New Mexico: Socorro animal shelter looking for info after dog left outside of facility
- KRQE En Español: Jueves 26 de Mayo 2022
Charcoal and wood fires are prohibited on park grounds, along with cooking stoves and open flames. Smoking is also prohibited. These measures will be in effect until the fire danger subsides.