ANGEL FIRE, N.M. (KRQE) – A boil water advisory was put in place for the Village of Angel Fire on Friday after E. coli bacteria was detected in water samples collected from the water system’s distribution and Peralta 2 Well, the New Mexico Environment Department’s Drinking Water Bureau announced.
Story continues below:
- Community: What’s happening around New Mexico September 22 – September 28
- Education: APS explains decision behind no snow days policy
- Crime: Two suspects arrested in 11-year-old’s fatal shooting outside Isotopes Park
- New Mexico: New Mexico Public Regulation Commission approves $115 in credits to PNM customers
New Mexico drinking water regulations require the Village of Angel Fire to notify their water system consumers of this finding as soon as possible but no later than 24 hours after the system is notified of the confirmation of the violation. This advisory applies only to the drinking water from the Village of Angel Fire and does not extend to any other surrounding water systems.
The Village of Angel Fire users are advised to boil water for three minutes before:
- Making coffee, tea and other drinks
- Making ice
- Washing fruits and vegetables
- Using the water to feed a baby
- Brushing teeth
- Providing as drinking water for pets
The presence of E. coli in water indicates that the water may have been in contact with sewage or animal wastes and could contain disease-causing organisms. A positive test for E. coli n the drinking water supply may indicate the presence of dangerous strains of E. coli or other disease-causing organisms. These types of organisms may cause severe gastrointestinal illness and, in rare cases, death. Children, the elderly and immuno-compromised individuals are at an increased risk for illness, according to NMED.
More information about boil water advisories in English and Spanish is available here.