ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla. (WJW) -– A Florida woman was killed when her toddler shot her in the head during a Zoom call. According to Altamonte Springs Police Department, it happened Wednesday.
Story continues below:
- Education: UNM launching program that prepares people to work in marijuana industry
- New Mexico News: Texas murder suspect spotted in Chaves County
- Crime: Body found east of Route 66 Casino Saturday night
- Business: M’tucci’s planning to renovate iconic Albuquerque building
- KRQE en Espanol: KRQE En Español: Lunes 27 de Septiembre 2021
A member of the Zoom call dialed 911 when the mother, Shamaya Lynn, 21, appeared to be in need of help.
The caller said that during the work-related video chat, they saw a toddler in the background and heard a noise. Lynn then fell backward and never returned to the call.
When officers and paramedics arrived, they attempted to render aid, but Lynn was fatally shot.
Investigators determined the toddler found a loaded handgun that was left unsecured in the apartment and then shot the woman.
Police said they were still investigating the incident Thursday afternoon and were working with the Seminole County State Attorney’s Office to determine whether or not any charges will be filed against the owner of the gun.