SLIDELL, La. (BRPROUD) — A man in Louisiana who claimed he was hit by a Tesla has been arrested himself. Slidell police were called to an alleged hit-and-run in a parking lot Friday. Arthur Bates Jr., 47, claimed a Tesla had struck him while backing out.
Story continues below:
- Jobs: City of Albuquerque still trying to fill vacancies; hiring bonuses continue
- Vaccine: Vaccination deadline looms for NM university students, faculty, and staff
- Education: APS seeing a rise in violence and bad behavior among students
- Marijuana: High potency marijuana and possible impact on New Mexico teens
- KRQE en Espanol: KRQE en Espanol: Miercoles 17 de Septiembre 2021
The Slidell Police Department provided video of the alleged collision, appearing to show Bates falling to the ground and the Tesla leaving the scene after its driver checks on Bates.
“Bates was complaining of back, leg and neck injuries, resulting in an ambulance and fire truck to be dispatched to the location,” said the Slidell Police Department.
During an investigation, the driver was found and questioned by officers. The driver also provided police with the video.
According to the driver, “Bates intentionally jumped behind his vehicle and staged the accident.”
Slidell Police officers agreed and arrested Bates, who is now facing one count of false swearing with the intent to cause an emergency response.