NAVAJO NATION (KRQE) – The Navajo Nation hosted a virtual event on Saturday in honor of National Navajo Code Talkers Day. Navajo Code Talkers helped the U.S. during World War II by encoding and transmitting messages in the Navajo language.
Story continues below:
- Jobs: City of Albuquerque still trying to fill vacancies; hiring bonuses continue
- Vaccine: Vaccination deadline looms for NM university students, faculty, and staff
- Education: APS seeing a rise in violence and bad behavior among students
- Marijuana: High potency marijuana and possible impact on New Mexico teens
- KRQE en Espanol: KRQE en Espanol: Miercoles 17 de Septiembre 2021
August 14 was designated National Navajo Code Talkers Day by President Ronald Reagan in 1982. Saturday was a way to pay tribute to the Navajo Code Talkers for their service and to carry on their legacies.