BURLINGTON, N.C. (WGHP) — A man with over 50 outstanding warrants was arrested this week in North Carolina after driving into two homes.
Story continues below:
- Trending: Balloon community calls for pilot drug tests after toxicology report in deadly crash
- Don’t Miss: Los Alamos National Lab updates vaccine requirements for staff
- Crime: Robber shot, killed at Subway was arrested in 2019 for veterans memorial theft
- New Mexico News: Man with long criminal history charged following attack at post office
- KRQE en Espanol: KRQE En Español: Miercoles 22 de Septiembre 2021
On Sunday, a deputy saw a vehicle sitting in a lane near I-40 West in Burlington that didn’t move when the light turned green. The driver, later identified as Jaren Jamar Hopkins-Benton, appeared to be unconscious, and sheriff’s deputies and Burlington police officers tried to rouse him.
When the driver woke up, he reversed the car and started driving at “a high rate of speed,” police said.
When officers caught up with the car, it was on fire. The suspect had crashed into two homes before stopping, police said. The driver was taken to the hospital.
Hopkins-Benton was found to have 57 outstanding warrants from various law enforcement agencies. He was charged with felony speeding, fleeing to elude arrest, reckless driving, driving without a license and two counts of injury to property.