RUTHERFORD COUNTY, Tenn. (WKRN) – Three schools in Tennessee were on lockdown Wednesday while officers investigated an incident of shots being fired nearby. The cause of the gunfire? An expectant father fired a weapon during a gender reveal phone call, officials said.
Story continues below:
- Investigation: What happens after someone attacks a healthcare worker?
- Don’t Miss: New Mexico native recognized in Bon Appétit Magazine for Brooklyn restaurant
- Weird: Man once accused of having sex with horse now accused of escape from jail
- KRQE en Espanol: KRQE En Español: Jueves 23 de Septiembre 2021
- Crime: FBI investigates Albuquerque couple for bank robbery
According to police, the soon-to-be father was calling relatives to reveal the gender of his child. The man then stepped outside and fired celebratory rounds into the air and the expectant mother screamed – apparently out of excitement.
A neighbor heard the shots and the scream and called 911. Because the shots were reported so close to several schools, they were briefly put on lockdown.
Officers have cited the father with unlawful discharging of a firearm inside city limits.
Nobody was hurt in the incident and schools were quickly lifted from lockdown.
As for the gender of the baby at the center of the whole incident – the family is having a boy.