HOUSTON (KIAH) – Christmas is just around the corner. This means it’s time to start shipping gifts to your loved ones. The U.S. Postal Service and UPS have confidence that anything you want to send will get there on time. If you meet the deadlines.
For some, it can also be stressful when it comes to shipping packages. There are some key dates for anyone planning to mail a gift this Christmas.
Story continues below
- Albuquerque: Data shows drivers aren’t slowing down for speed enforcement cameras
- Entertainment: Official trailer released for Netlfix movie filmed in New Mexico
- New Mexico: $38.8 million in loan forgiveness for ‘ripped off’ New Mexico ITT Tech students
- KRQE Investigates: Albuquerque bus drivers speak out about violence
- KRQE En Español: Martes 16 de Agosto 2022
In order for a Christmas delivery for USPS, ground service mail needs to be at the post office by December 15th. For first-class, it’s December 17th and for priority, it’s December 18th. Express shipping services can be mailed out two days before Christmas.
The postal service expects 25-billion letters, cards, and packages to pass through its system from thanksgiving through new year’s day.
According to USPS, they’ve been preparing for this holiday season since last year during the pandemic. in 2020, many people experienced delays with their packages. Some packages were taking three weeks to a month to ship.
As for UPS, they say 95% of their packages are delivered on time. This year they expect an influx due to online shopping so it’s better to ship early.
The shipping deadlines for UPS vary by location. For FedEx, it’s December 15th. All carriers also emphasize how important it is to be correct with spelling and numbers. The holidays are not the time to make mistakes that could delay delivery.