1. The Torrance County Sheriff’s Office is still searching for an escaped inmate. Deputies say the man escaped from a holding cell in Estancia. Kyle Eltvedt, 36, is currently wanted for aggravated battery. Deputies describe him as 6-feet-tall and was last seen wearing a black jacket, gray hoodie, with a blue tie-dye shirt and black or gray pants. Deputies say he was not wearing any shoes and may be covered with a gray wool blanket. They say he was not armed at the time of his escape but should be considered dangerous.
2. The three candidates vying for the U.S. Senate seat to represent New Mexico will take part in a final debate Friday night. In our KRQE poll, voters were asked who they would pick for that seat: Democrat incumbent Martin Heinrich came in with 40-percent, Republican Mick Rich is second with 28 percent and Libertarian Gary Johnson is close behind with 22 percent. However, 11-percent say they’re still undecided. The debate is Friday evening and will cover multiple issues including immigration. Catch that debate on My50TV from 6 to 7 p.m.
3. A nice finish to the work week with plenty of sunshine and mild temperatures stretched across the state Friday afternoon.
Full story: Kristen’s Friday Morning Forecast
4. In just days New Mexico could see another chance for showers. A map recently released by the U.S. Department of Agriculture shows much of the state is still dealing with drought. The northwestern and four corners areas are still in exceptional or extreme drought. There has been some improvement in the eastern part of the state. Areas labeled as extreme drought in August are now one category away from just being considered dry. Counties bordering Texas are now drought free.
5. The 36th Annual Taos Mountain Balloon rally begins. The three-day long event will take flight from the field behind the Taos County Courthouse. The free event is scheduled to include two mass ascensions and a mini version Friday morning in addition to food and entertainment. Officials expect more than 35 balloons to be there.
Top Morning Stories
- Investigators search for person who sent mail bombs, motive
- Deputies launch search for man accused of killing his brothers
- Trump plans to send troops to border as response to caravan
- BCSO launches homicide investigation after disturbing find in Tijeras
- Arrest made in Tularosa homicide
- Dozens of people start GoFundMe’s to search for Forrest Fenn’s treasure
- New Mexico preps for more showers as state still deals with drought
- Tiny New Mexico town named ‘scariest’ city in the state