1. A magistrate judge will soon be making his own appearance in court and is now facing several charges of embezzlement during his time as a Torrance County sheriff. As of Friday, Heath White has yet to be arrested. White is facing seven criminal charges of embezzlement. Investigators say while sheriff, he may have used public money to buy personal items like guns and vehicle parts for himself. The attorney general says in all, it totaled to about $157,000. If convicted, White faces up to 17-years in prison.
2. The Navajo Nation Police Department is asking for your help finding a 76-year-old woman who has not been seen in days. Police say Bessie Garcia was last seen April 29 in Nageezi, New Mexico. Garcia is has a tattoo on her left hand that reads “Bessie” and a scar on her right eyebrow. The public is urged to contact the Navajo Nation Police with any information.
3. A mostly clear and quiet start to the day with morig temperatures in the 40s, 50s, and 60s. Afternoon highs will climb well into the 60s, 70s, and 80s which is near average for this time of the year.
Full story: Kristen’s Friday Morning Forecast
4. The Motor Vehicle Department is working to fix the costly computer issue that billed drivers hundreds of dollars extra for registration fees. Officials say some customers received a postcard with an extra zero in the amount due meaning a $50 fee would read $500. Customers can pay the correct amount an any MVD office or online. If you already paid the wrong amount, the division says it will work with you to resolve the issue.
5. Many are still talking about the results of Thursday night’s Miss USA 2019 pageant. Miss North Carolina walked away with the crown and the runner up was 26-year-old Alejandra Gonzalez from Las Cruces. Gonzales’ parents immigrated to the U.S. from Mexico, making her a first-generation American, something she spoke about passionately.
Top Morning Stories
- A solid US job gain expected for April amid resilient growth
- Isleta Resort & Casino looks to fill over 150 positions during job fair
- Trump defends health workers’ right to object to abortions
- City audit claims Albuquerque Water Authority owes thousands
- Data shows high number of crashes on Albuquerque frontage roads
- Thousands of students in Albuquerque for RoboRAVE International robotics competition