1. A huge break in the case of a missing mother, Rita Jaramillo’s ex-boyfriend is facing charges for her murder some seven months after she disappeared. Jaramillo’s family says they’re now having to face the reality that she’s not coming home. Jaramillo was last seen in September when she didn’t show to pick up her grandson. Days later, her Los Lunas home burned to the ground. Now, Arthur Lovato is charged for her death. Jaramillo’s daughter believes he set fire to Jaramillo’s home.
2. The father of a New Mexico pilot is speaking out, saying his son was one of the three people killed in a helicopter crash in Hawaii. Hawaii officials say 28-year-old Joseph Berridge from Garfield, New Mexico, and two passengers were flying over the island of Honolulu when the helicopter came crashing down in a residential suburb. Investigators are working to determine the cause of the crash. Berridge has just moved to Hawaii from Albuquerque two weeks ago.
3. A quiet and cool start to the day with morning temperatures in the 30s, 40 s, and 50s under a mostly clear sky. We’ll have enough sunshine and a good west-southwest flow overhead to help warm temperatures to near average across New Mexico. Widespread 60s, 70s, and 80s are expected.
Full story: Kristen’s Wednesday Morning Forecast
4. For the first time ever, AFRL New Mexico is hosting a STEM signing day. Modeled after signing days for high school seniors committing to play collegiate sports, the STEM Signing Day commemorates Albuquerque metro seniors committing to pursue higher education in science, technology, engineering and math-related fields. Officials hope to make it a statewide event by 2020.
5. If you’re looking for something to do this weekend, taking a trip down the margarita trail may be something to check out. The Santa Fe New Mexican is reporting that the program has just added 16 new stops on the trail. Now you can try margaritas from 45 different spots ranging from Harry’s Roadhouse all the way up to the Iguana Cafe at Buffalo Thunder. The Margarita Trail began back in 2016.
Top Morning Stories
- Expo New Mexico to temporarily house asylum-seeking families
- 2 dead, motive unclear in North Carolina campus shooting
- Big changes coming to UNM’s film department as state’s film industry grows